Halliwick Disability Programme
LeisureWorld Churchfield has a dedicated Halliwick Swim Instructor Cliona Hurley who researches best practice and exercise options for all.
Disability accessibility program in LeisureWorld Churchfield
The over all aim of the LeisureWorld disability program is to increase the physically activity level of people who have disabilities and to enhance there over all health and well being.
LeisureWorld's Long term goals for the programme:
- To increase participation in physical activity whether it is for recreation or leisure
- To provide peolpe the opportunity to socialise
- To provide people with information on wether it be for health or weel being
- To help break down the barriers that prevents people with disabilities from particiapating in pyhsical activity.
LeisureWorld have partnered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind and installed bench leads next to our reception area to enable our visually impaired customers to leave their Guide Dogs in a safe place whilst they visit our Pool or Gym in Cork. Comfy mats and bowls of water are also left in this designated area for the dogs
Entry to the 25 m can be accessed by the ladder or hoist.
LeisureWorld Churchfield has a disabled shower and changing facility available for use.
We can offer swimming lessons weather it be for individual who can swim all ready or who can not.
For people who feel that mainstream method swimming would not work for person with disability.
HALLIWICK SWIMMING PROGRAMME
LeisureWorld Churchfield is delighted to provide an alternative - The Halliwick Programme - which involves developing person physical mental and social abilities. Swimmer is paired with an instructor this allow s the swimmer to have continues support and attention. This allows then to develop there own confidence and there own balance in the water. (Cited from http://www.halliwick.org.uk/html/concept.htm) The Halliwick Swimming Asscociation of Ireland are in the process of setting up their own website, if you would like information on Irelands Halliwick Association then contact LeisureWorld.
* 1 to 1 (with carer present) €25 30 mins
* 2 to 1 (with carer present) €40 45 mins
* 3 to 1 (with carers present) € 50 45 mins
* 4 to 1 (with carers present) €60 45 mins